WE WANTED THEM TO ‘OWN’ BEING A MANAGER AND BUILD CONFIDENCE IN THEIR ROLES. IT’S BEEN A RESOUNDING SUCCESS!
NAOMI TRICKEY – VP OF PEOPLE, BRANDWATCH
OUR APPROACH TO LEADERSHIP
The challenges faced by modern management are different than they were a generation ago. Employee expectation – and the increased transparency that surrounds modern corporate culture – ensures that. What it takes to be an effective leader has not changed substantially but the need to be effective is increasing.
Next generation leaders reject old leadership models. Companies like John Lewis, Patagonia, Zappos and IDEO are so successful because they understand the next generation requires a different approach. They know focusing only on short-term profit gives a poor longer-term return for shareholders. They also want to enjoy going to work every day. 21st century leadership creates more profitable, stable and sustainable companies that are excellent working environments, which attract and retain the best people. Also, these companies are more innovative, resilient and adaptable in the face of continuing market change.
Our leadership development work is underpinned by the following beliefs and practices:
- Self-awareness is the first step in becoming an authentic, proactive leader fit for 21st century business
- Those leaders invest in relationships and possess strong communication skills
- Leaders that collaborate create more powerful results and stability
- Effective leaders distribute power and control where it’s needed
- Supportive honest feedback is vital in maintaining mutual development
- Developing trust is the first step to team effectiveness
- 21st century leaders are more effective when they are honest about their vulnerability, admitting when they are wrong, asking for help, sharing their fears, and admitting they don’t know the answer
- You only succeed if you walk the talk
- It starts with you
“Leadership is a practice underpinned by skills that need constant honing and a commitment to personal development – you don’t just pick it up. Being promoted into a leadership role means you need to stop whatever it was you were highly effective at, and start all over again using a different part of your brain.”
We co-create programmes specific to your organisation’s leadership needs. You’ll find some examples on the Case Studies page along with some feedback from our clients. These are usually run over a period of months, are highly interactive and work with real challenges in the business. We like to leave managers with a peer support mechanism in place that long outlives our presence.
“Lasy and Jamie struck a great balance between making sure we were progressing and giving us the space and time we needed to learn from each other too. I came out of every week with my mind full of new things to think about in how I managed.”Rob Stanley, Senior Manager – Brandwatch
“This is the best thing any company have ever given me, ever.”Ali Lockie, Senior Manager – Brandwatch
If you’d like to step away from tired models and practices, move beyond the obvious and become a conscious business leader, then contact us for more information.